Adsense AutoAds

Website in the works. In the meantime I have posted some music I enjoy. I post my fishing trips here as a resource for future trips and to re-live the trips when I cannot get out to wet a line. Comments are welcome! Hope you enjoy. All pictures and videos are taken by me unless otherwise noted and I reserve all copyright privileges to all my Narratives, Photos and Videos. - Burgs

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Malibu to Ventura 06/02 - 06/03/2012

So got a call from Mahigeer (Mahi) and I missed it, but he left a message thankfully. He was going to fish the Chart House area after dark for sharks. Wanting to catch a legal Leo to try on the ole palate and starting a new job on Monday I was more than eager to give it a try. Not much of a shark fisherman, but I knew Mahigeer would be a wealth of knowledge (and the others that ended up joining were as well). Set on going, Mahi asked if I would mind picking Redkorn (John) up from Whittier and I said no problem, tell him to call me. Having to attend a buddies boys' 1st birthday party first I knew I would be there later than Mahigeer who was planning to get there around 4 or 5 PM. After enjoying the party, friends and a few adult beverages I was raring to go! Left the party around 5:30 or so and went home (in Reseda) real quick to pack up gear and bait and be on my way. Still to tipsy to drive the wife drove to Whittier (thanks honey!) to pick up John. While I was at the party I also got a text from tresher_one (Robert) asking if I wanted to join him to do some shark fishing, lol. I let him know I was already going to meet Mahi and picking up John and he was more than welcome to join. My buddy Brian was also going to meet us there later in the evening. After getting over half way to Whittier, I noticed I forgot my tackle box and would need to go back home before heading to Malibu...uhg, lol. After the long drive back home, we were on our way to Malibu. After the wife dropped John and I off we found Mahi and Robert already fishing (or battling eel grass and kelp would be more appropriate). After a little chatting we all started fishing despite a thick layer of salad in the water. After a while it cleared, but unfortunately this fishing did not improve. We all tried Mackerel, Squid, Octopus, Sand Crabs (there were a ton in the water) and Perch. Robert had one take his bait, but the hook would not set and it dropped it. He also had a few other hits, but nothing that would stick. John missed several bites utilizing his lazy fishing technique. Mahi and I were constantly telling him to pick up the damn rod, but he always says - "They are circle hooks, they set themselves". We both tried to explain that more force than just the weight is needed sometimes to get the hook to set (not setting the hook, just keeping pressure on the line), but he was having none of it and consequentially missed a ton of hits and possible fish and / or sharks. His loss I suppose, lol. I had a few hits, and missing baits, but nothing substantial at all. Mahigeer caught one small thrornback ray. The sheriffs kicked us off the beach a little after midnight stating that the beach closed at midnight. I did not know that, nor try to verify it yet, but we were all disappointed to say the least.  John and I were not ready to call it a night, but Brian, Mahi and Robert did. After Brian (who was also skunked, but did have a few bites) dropped us off at my car in Agoura (were wife works) John and I went to Ventura Pier for some crabbing and fishing! Both were very slow all morning. I caught five keeper rock and yellow rock crabs and quite a few shorts. Fish wise, neither one of us ever had any big hookups and I caught a few small queenfish on the sabiki rig. Not much else seen caught despite their being a decent number of people there fishing till after sunrise and us hearing fish breach the surface. Tired and ready to get the heck out of dodge we were on the road to Whittier by around 7:00 A.M.. Dropped John off, stopped at Starbucks so I would not fall asleep on the last leg home. Cooked the crab and finally went to bed around 11:00 AM on Sunday. Long day / morning, no sharks, no fish of note a few crabs, but a hell of a good time. Can hardly wait till the next time. Perhaps the fish will cooperate then. I will add pictures and edit for grammar later. I will also embed a short video John made (pretty cool).

No comments:

Post a Comment