Adsense AutoAds

Website in the works. In the meantime I have posted some music I enjoy. I post my fishing trips here as a resource for future trips and to re-live the trips when I cannot get out to wet a line. Comments are welcome! Hope you enjoy. All pictures and videos are taken by me unless otherwise noted and I reserve all copyright privileges to all my Narratives, Photos and Videos. - Burgs

Monday, July 22, 2013

Surf Fishing (and Some Catching) Malibu 07-22-2013

Wanting to take advantage of the grunion run and the full moon to do some night fishing, Brian and I headed to one of the regular Malibu spots to do some early evening / night fishing. We fished from 6:45 PM to 11:00 PM. Bait was squid all night. High tide was at around 10:20 PM and was a huge +7' combined with a fairly large 3-5' swell, made for some surprise soakings for both of us, despite moving up the rocks 15' or so. I was amazed how high those things were splashing. Anyways, fishing started out pretty good with us both getting bites fairly early on. I landed the first fish of the night at around 7:04 PM and it was a nice one! A big ole 19"+ Calico Bass that weighed 3 pounds 5.7 ounces. After being skunked five times in a row, it was nice to catch something finally. Into the bucket of water to keep em alive until I leave and back to fishing we go. It was pretty slow after that, with a bite here and there and the occasional crab tug until I caught the next fish at 8:47 PM, a small leopard shark. Took a few quick pics before I tossed em back and went back to fishing. I caught the next fish at 9:02 PM, a small grass rockfish that I took a quick picture of and tossed back. Brian got lots of bites all night, but just could not hook up for some reason. He did pull in a nice sized rock crab at some point, that was thrown back since it is illegal to catch them via hook and line. Anyways, finally my skunk streak has ended! Hope it stays that way :).

No comments:

Post a Comment