Adsense AutoAds

Website in the works. In the meantime I have posted some music I enjoy. I post my fishing trips here as a resource for future trips and to re-live the trips when I cannot get out to wet a line. Comments are welcome! Hope you enjoy. All pictures and videos are taken by me unless otherwise noted and I reserve all copyright privileges to all my Narratives, Photos and Videos. - Burgs

Friday, December 20, 2013

Night Fishing Malibu 12-20-2013

Wanting to take advantage of favorable tides (low was a -0.07 @ 5:15 PM and high was a 3.53 @ 11:55 PM) and a nearly full moon Brian and I headed to Malibu for some night fishing. Sunset was at 4:51 PM but moonrise was not till 8:08 PM, so we arrived closer to moonrise at 7:27 PM, the weather was great, as it usually is in Malibu.

I got the first catch of the night....sort of, after being stuck for a while I finally reeled in a...small cabezon head, lol. Not sure if I ripped it off or another bigger fish had a hold of it, but in any case it was a strange sight to see coming in on my hook.

Fishing was pretty slow most of the night, but I hooked into a large shark at 9:19 PM that took me by surprise as I was chatting with Brian. After getting em in to about 10 feet away, it hit some rocks and popped off....grrrrr, so close, lol.

The first fish of the night was caught by Brian at 10:16 PM, which was a nice 13.5" grass rockfish.

The gears in my reel had been stripped during my fight with the shark that got away, so when I hooked into a nice heavy critter at 10:28 PM I had to reel very fast and hard to get a beautiful 19.5", 3 pounds, 2 ounces cabezon in through all the rocks, eel grass and kelp. This fish alone made for a good night for me (even with my undersized, non-saltwater reel breaking, lol).

We both hooked into sharks again right before leaving, I had no chance with my crippled reel and it rocked me and broke me off eventually. Brian unfortunately had the same fate, with his braid line getting cut most likely on a sharp rock. Having both caught nice fish, and both being tired, we headed home around 11:30 PM very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment