Adsense AutoAds

Website in the works. In the meantime I have posted some music I enjoy. I post my fishing trips here as a resource for future trips and to re-live the trips when I cannot get out to wet a line. Comments are welcome! Hope you enjoy. All pictures and videos are taken by me unless otherwise noted and I reserve all copyright privileges to all my Narratives, Photos and Videos. - Burgs

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Jetty Fishing Ventura and Port Hueneme 07-14-2012

So decided to hit up a jetty my friend Brian and I had previously fished since there were legal white sea bass caught off of it earlier in the week. We hoped they would still be around, but knew that was not likely. We arrived at around 10:00 AM and proceeded to the end of the jetty. After getting set up we both cast around for a while using squid. After about 10 minutes Brian decides to try a hole I had found previously and dropped his offering down between the rocks. Almost immediately he brings up a small (7" or 8") sculpin which he returned to get bigger. After casting around for a while longer I decided to break the skunk and dropped my offering in the hole and pulled up a small (8" or 9")grass rockfish which was returned to grow. Nothing else after that. We packed up around 1 which was about an hour after low tide and headed to a new spot in Port Hueneme we had been wanting to try.

Got to the new spot around 1:30 or so and after chatting with a few other fisherman we went to the end. Place looked very very fishy so I was hopeful. Got lots of taps but nothing that stuck at the first spot. Water was VERY deep there, deeper than most piers I have been to. Moved over to a different spot on the jetty at around 3:30 which had a ton of structure...probably too much, lol. I got rocked while taking a picture and by the time I was able to real in the bastard had took me into a hole or something. After trying to work em out for about 10 minutes I just snapped the line. Nothing else after that but we did see a seal get a huge fish (looked over 3') just out of casting distance.

All and all a great day! Kinda light on the fish, but it was nice to fish a new location. I also discovered that the "jumbo" squid I bought at Ranch 99 for $0.99 a pound worked just fine for fishing. Have to go back and grab some more while it is on special.

3 comments:

  1. Hey man, Do you need a license to fish on this jetty? how do you get there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics! I am fishing the jetty off of Marina Park north of Ventura Harbor today. The name is Art. Hope to run into you sometime bro. Had success here with 3 large perch and a huge cabezon in one day. Used muscle.
    Oldskoolartcustoms@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, didn't see that first comment. Yes you need a license for this jetty.

    Thanks Oldskool! Check out the other post, tons of cool pics. I believe the jetty you fished today was the same jetty as in this post. I like it and usually catch fish there....just need to know the spots :). Hope you had a successful outing. I fished in Malibu on 12-23-2013 and will be getting that post up before the end of the year (like 15 posts coming, lol).

    ReplyDelete