Adsense AutoAds

Website in the works. In the meantime I have posted some music I enjoy. I post my fishing trips here as a resource for future trips and to re-live the trips when I cannot get out to wet a line. Comments are welcome! Hope you enjoy. All pictures and videos are taken by me unless otherwise noted and I reserve all copyright privileges to all my Narratives, Photos and Videos. - Burgs

Friday, May 30, 2014

Sunrise Surf Fishing Malibu 05-30-2014

Being 11 days since I last fished and wanting to get back into my old routine of going at least twice a week, plus perfect conditions (on paper, lol) equaled me and Alisa getting up very early, 3:45 AM, and heading to Malibu, CA. After gassing up and heading out we arrived at my target location for the day at 5:10 AM (Alisa lagged or I would have been there earlier, lol).

The ideal conditions mentioned above were:
.
#1 - A nearly New Moon (only 6% visible) would in a fisherman's eyes be perfect because theoretically the fish feed less when there is less light at night and are hungry for breakfast if you will as soon as their is some light (why I like to be there at first light vs. sunrise which is about 35-40 minutes apart right now).

#2 - For this particular area I love the low negative tides because I can walk around and garner intelligence on what the bottom looks like in the areas I am frequently fishing in at high or when the tide gets to about +2' or so. Low tide was a -0.62' @ 5:23 A.M. and high tide was a +3.47' @ 11:52 A.M., I also prefer to fish the incoming tides...always ;).

So after getting up at that ungodly hour to hit the perfect first light conditions....fishing was super slow almost all day. So slow I even tried bait other than squid eventually, lol. I used a sandwich of squid, shrimp and muscles all tied nicely together with Magic Thread. Which eventually did the trick on my last cast about five minutes before leaving at 9:00 A.M....and was it ever a fish, a 17" 2 pound, 2.94 ounce pig grass rockfish! Now that was worth the wait...and I could have slept in, lol.

Alisa also found something I had never seen before, Keyhole Limpets the orange bottomed things in the pics below. There are also a few pics at the end of the other various cool sea life we saw around. Another great day in sunny Southern California! I friggin love it!


No comments:

Post a Comment