Adsense AutoAds

Website in the works. In the meantime I have posted some music I enjoy. I post my fishing trips here as a resource for future trips and to re-live the trips when I cannot get out to wet a line. Comments are welcome! Hope you enjoy. All pictures and videos are taken by me unless otherwise noted and I reserve all copyright privileges to all my Narratives, Photos and Videos. - Burgs

Friday, January 17, 2014

Surf Fishing Malibu 01-17-2014

Wanting to take advantage of the near full moon conditions and the incoming tide (low was a -0.36' @ 5:15 PM and high was a 3.73' @ 11:36 PM and sunset was around 6:15 PM), Brian and I headed to Malibu to do some fishing. We arrived around 4:00 PM and started fishing. Bait was squid, as always.

Brian started out the catching with a beautiful and fat 19"+ calico bass at 4:54 PM. I got in on the action with a nice fat 15-16" grass rockfish at 5:11 PM. We then had our first double hook up (we both hooked up and reeled in at the same time) at 5:22 PM, which was a 9" or so grass rockfish for me and a nice 12" or so grass rockfish for Brian. I then caught a 9"+ grass rockfish at 5:30 PM and Brian caught a nice 13" grassy at 5:38 PM. Double hook up #2 came at 5:45 PM in the form of a small grassy for Brian and a little baby lobster for me (which was of course released). I then caught a 12" or so cabazon at 6:00 PM and a 7" grass rockfish at 6:21 PM and a 12"+ grass rockfish at 6:34 PM and Brian closed out the catching with an 11" or so grass rockfish at 6:36 PM. We came intending to fish the full moon more, but we were tired by 7:00 and packed up and left.

What a great day of fishing! Final tally was: one calico bass and five grass rockfish for Brian and five grass rockfish, one sub-legal cabazon and one baby lobster for me. We kept the calico bass, and the three largest grass rockfish (12"+ is our own personal size restriction on rockfish unless it is gut hooked or otherwise injured) which you can see processed and packaged in the last picture. We enjoyed doing it, hopefully you enjoyed reading about it and the pics the go along with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment